Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Moving Right Along

So far, so good!

I'm really excited about all that I'm learning and accomplishing. Yesterday I wrote a decent article on internet freelancing. Pretty much the same that I've shared here, but I plan to send it to a few magazines instead. Today, I'll tweak it, tomorrow I'll prep a list of addressees and send it off either tomorrow or Thursday. If it gets published great and if it doesn't, that's cool too. This process is more about getting in the groove...settling on a routine, than it is about getting published (not that I don't want to be published, but you know...).

Late last night I came across an interesting message on a wahm message board about a freelancer who is averaging $350 per article on a regular basis. She was kind enough to post the name of the website where she gets a lot of high paying jobs and right away I tuned in at FundsForWriters.com. A great site that I plan to spend more time getting to know today. Oh, and I also subscribed to their newsletter which sends out weekly job tips and even grant sources for writers. There are a lot of resources there to help writers earn a decent living at their craft. I used to think that the only way to really make a career of writing was to publish some great novel or something on that level. Of course, I knew about opportunities publishing articles and short stories, but having gone that route before, I knew that it was hit or miss with magazines and newspapers and that it takes a lot to be able to do it regularly enough to earn a living wage. It's done, though, and it's done regularly by a lot of writers. Unfortunately, not many people can afford to focus solely on this type of freelancing, especially at the beginning stages of their career. This is why I'm so thankful for sites like FundsForWriters.com and all of the things that I'm learning about internet writing opportunities. Not to mention the various message boards where I'm getting some really great tips from working writers.

Yesterday I also spent some time learning about promoting this blog. I subscribed to a blogging network called Technorati. They basically track millions of blogs making it easy for people to seek out blogs that interest them. Sort of like a blog search engine, if you will. I've got a lot of reading still to do on both of the sites that I've mentioned, but if you're desiring a career in writing (or are already engaged in one), I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with both of these.

I also installed a counter on my blog and read a little on html coding and a lot of technical stuff like that. Usually that type of thing bores me to tears (I'd rather pay somebody to do it, ya know), but I'm finding that authoring a blog means more than just writing, there's a technical side to it if you plan to do it well. So...

Before I go, let me leave you a few more of the links I've gathered for freelance writers:

WritersRow (be sure to check out the jobs link)

Blogger.com(create your own blog)

Blogitive(get paid for blogging)

WAHM.com(this is the link for writers, but it's actually an entire community of people who work from home in various fields)

I have a lot more to post, but you'll have to tune in later for more.

In the meantime, realize that today is a great day and live it to the fullest!

~BabyBlogger






2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting blog... will read when I have a smigen of time again :) you should try using wordpress.com. It has categories! It's free.
samoms.wordpress.com

3:22 PM  
Blogger BabyBlogger said...

Thanks, I will check them out. Hope to see you again soon!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home