Friday, July 21, 2006

My New Best Friend

Yesterday, I told you about Writer's Market Online (WMO). Well it is now my official new best friend! I tell you, it's so much easier to search for markets in the online version. I especially enjoy being able to organize my submissions with their handy submission tracker. With just a few clicks, I can record who I've submitted to, what I submitted, the date, follow up tasks and information pertaining to my submission, etc. Perhaps the best thing about the online version, though, is that it's up to date and I'm kept abreast of changes in publishing opportunities without having to make phone calls or have queries and submissions returned unopened. Which brings me to my next bit of news.

All but two of the publications that I'd earmarked to mail articles to today are out of business. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? And, of the two that are still in business, one has changed its format. So, it was back to the drawing board for me today. The good news is that I was able to email two manuscripts directly from a couple of pubs I found on WMO, so all is not lost. I'll continue to research and submit more over the weekend.

I also plan to spend this weekend finishing my Blue Mountain Art submissions so I can get those out next week as well. I communicated with another writer who is still waiting to hear from them after a couple of her pieces were accepted a year ago. They'd explained to her that it would take approximately two years for the particulars, so it's not surprising she hasn't heard how they're doing yet. I'm just excited about the prospect and I can't wait to submit to them. I was explaining to someone else that to get a Blue Mountain contract, for me, would be like an up and coming singer/composer getting to work with Stevie Wonder or someone else of legendary status. I've admired their cards for so long and it would be a dream come true for one of my pieces to appear on their brand.

Anyway, here are a few more links I'd like to share before signing off. Hope everyone has a great day. Happy writing and enjoy the links:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html Ten Copyright Myths

http://www.shaunasmithduty.com/for_writers.htm Shauna Smith Duty's very helpful website for writers (more resources are available there too)

http://www.lifetips.com/careers/gurus.asp Write what you know and get paid!

http://about.families.com/become-a-blogger Get paid to blog regularly on Families.com

http://www.hotgigs.com/types/Creative_Design,_Media_and_Writers/Writing/ Another helpful list of writing jobs

~BabyBlogger

P.S. As of today, I still have articles pending acceptance on AC, but if you haven't done so already, please visit my content page and read what I've already published. Also, if you'd like to publish there, please use my referral link to sign up. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home