Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Writing Schedule?

I'm blessed to be able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it and not to have to worry about earning an income. Still, I've been thinking about putting myself on a daily writing schedule and setting some realistic financial goals for my writing.

I have to admit that I dread doing this. But I really am curious as to how it will work out. Will it help me accomplish more or less? I tend to write best when the mood hits me, so I'm not sure how much of a battle I'll face with forcing myself to write at a predetermined time. I think structure will keep me focused though, so I'm going to give it a shot. Besides, I can easily see myself going overboard and burning myself out if I don't begin to pace myself. As it's been this past week, I've been up half the night, every night, writing, reading, applying for freelance jobs, etc. and a schedule would monitor the time I spend doing each.

*Sigh*

Can I do it? We'll see.

Speaking of schedules. I visit a few forums for writers and I've read where several of them are working on schedules as they're churning out multiple articles per day and several blog posts each day in an attempt to make money on content and blog sites. I don't know if that's worth it, though. I imagine that if a person is really strapped for cash, they do what they have to do, but neither content sites nor blog sites seem to pay all that much for either to be a person's main focus. It would seem to me that the time spent on low paying content and blog writing would be better spent working on more profitable writing jobs. I wonder, too, if the quality of writing suffers when a writer is forced to write on topics they're not interested in. I'm not downing anyone for doing this and I'm not downing content and blog writing (obviously), I just really don't get it. Seems like they could get a lot more for the topics they're writing on if they were submitting them to magazines or other higher paying venues. But then, I guess, the pay isn't fast and, definitely, isn't steady enough for some if they were to take that route.

At any rate, I'm off now to sketch out a schedule for myself. Wish me well!

~BabyBlogger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home