Sunday, July 30, 2006

Time Flies

It's been nearly 5 days since my last post. It's also been exactly 2 weeks since I decided to regularly freelance. Doesn't seem like that long for either and, thankfully, there's been good news to report along the way. My story continues...

I sent the Blue Mountain submissions in this past week as planned. Now the waiting game begins. I'm hearing that it can take up to four months to be notified of an acceptance. I sent in 20 different poems on a variety of subjects and, hopefully, I'll have good news in this batch. Either way, I plan to keep submitting and to form a relationship with BMA no matter how long it takes.

In my last post, I mentioned drawing out a schedule for myself. Done. However, I haven't stuck to it a single day. LOL My plan is to work from 9a to 12p and then again from 3p until 6p Monday through Friday. Sounds great, huh? Problem is, mentally, I just can't do it...yet. I prefer staying up past 3a each morning writing. I'll continue to aim for a healthier schedule though and will continue to report on my progress.

I recently mentioned where one of my works was rejected by AC as they felt it was more of a personal experience piece. Well, the word is now in on the last two that were pending and both were systematically rejected as well. Both were restaurant reviews and, because they were local establishments, AC has no use for them, therefore will not offer payment. Totally understandable. Of course, I can publish them for non-payment, but I have better plans as each will be submitted to other markets for which I feel they're better suited. So, no gain, but no loss either.

On now to the latest with my new freelancing position. On Friday I received a very questionable Writer's Agreement. Upon reading it, red flags immediately started waving. There was no mention of compensation and no mention of the magazine (only of the ministry it is affiliated with and not even any strong identifying info on it, outside of the ministry's name). There was also mention of my work being reproduced in other mediums, including study guides, and other materials and there was mention of some sort of internal ministry policy agreement that could further dictate how my work could be used. It was asked that I agree to such without even knowing what that particular policy agreement consisted of. Of course, I couldn't conceive of agreeing to any of this, so instead of signing it, I replied with an email detailing each of my concerns. I really would like to work with the magazine, but I have no intention, or interest, in engaging in such a one-sided and unfair relationship. The next day I received another email from them apologizing and requesting that the agreement be disregarded. According to the email, it was sent by accident and not meant for this project. This could be the truth or perhaps it isn't. A few people that I've shared the story with have believed the latter. For me, it doesn't matter much and I choose to move ahead on their word for it as they've offered to send something better on Monday. I'll keep you posted.

I'm working on a new submission for a teen magazine. I'm expirementing with a new format...new for me, at least. I'm designing the article in list format. I read in a newsletter from
Funds For Writers that articles which identify the "top 10 ways" to do a thing or the "top 5 myths" on a topic or the top (insert whatever number works) type articles are often an easy sell. They make it easy for readers to pinpoint and digest a lot of information in a smaller article and, naturally, editors are appreciative and quite receptive of this. I've glanced at a few magazine covers over the weekend and have noticed that the majority have published these types of articles over and over again. So my new article is on the top 10 ways to identify if you're ready for a serious relationship (not the official title yet). I'm offering, what I believe is, sound advice to teen girls on properly assessing several areas of their lives before deciding to get serious about something they may or may not be ready for.

My plan is to use the article to apply for a particular freelancing job, but to also submit it to other markets should I not get the gig. I really like the idea of writing this way.

And finally, today, on
AbsoluteWriters' forum, I learned that I shouldn't put the copyright symbol on submissions. I took what I learned over to my favorite WAHM.com forum where the consensus was the same. Doing so is, apparently, insulting to editors and labels ones self as a 'rookie'. Who knew? I was taught to do so in college and read in Writer's Market that this was the appropriate protocol as well. However, in real life, it doesn't fly as easily. If you think about it, it makes sense. Your work is already copyrighted once you write it and editors know this. Making a special effort to then point this out may suggest that you don't trust an editor or that you're so new, that you haven't put it together yet that this is an unnecessary precaution. Like Maya Angelou says thoug, 'When you know better, you do better', so I'm happy to have learned this lesson and the many others that I've been able to draw upon from forums such as these.

Welp, that about does it for me today. Looking forward to a great week and wishing everyone else the same.

~BabyBlogger

1 Comments:

Blogger BabyBlogger said...

You're very welcome, Stacy. AC will publish them, they just won't pay for them. ;)

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home