Monday, July 31, 2006

I'm So Thankful For The Internet

Once upon a time, a writer had to shell out lots of cash for access to the information and the contacts that are now available online. I'm thankful for those days are just about behind us. Workshops and classes are still a great way to go, but I spend a lot of time reading blogs, message boards and emailing individuals with my questions and comments. In just 2 weeks, I've learned more about the business of writing, from online sources, than I'd ever expected.

I've tried to share a lot of what I've come across in my previous posts. The links and the info that I've held back have either been because a particular writer has asked me not to post certain information for the general public or because I have so many links, but haven't taken the time to organize them all. Eventually (i.e. when I can straighten out this whole sidebar issue), I plan to list them all in an organized fashion and include a handy sidebar link for easy access.

I've probably learned the most from the WAHM.com forum under the WAHM Who Write section and from AbsoluteWrite.com's Freelance Forum. On the latter, I've encountered a wonderful woman, Linda Formichelli, who seems to be very helpful. I stumbled upon a post of hers where she offers to send samples of 12 successful query letters to you via email by sending a blank email to queries@renegadewriter.com. I got my packet of 12 in less than a minute and am geeked! Taking a peek at actual letters helps tremendously as creating them often proves to be a very intimidating task for some writers. I've done a couple before and I know, firsthand, the agony that goes into writing them. Reading Linda's letters and the original thread where she, and other very helpful individuals, posted has helped put me to ease quite a bit.

This morning I logged on AbsoluteWrite again and found Linda advising someone else on breaking into print magazines. Because she's so knowledgable and helpful, I decided to check out some more of her posts and, eventually, visited her website and her blog. She offers eMentoring, an 8 week course on breaking into magazines and has a lot of good information to share. Her website, http://www.lindaformichelli.com/course/ and her blog, http://renegadewriterblog.blogspot.com/, are both must adds!

From reading Linda's blog, I remembered that I also have a few links to share for those of you who freelance for magazines and are searching for free subscriptions. I've used most of these and currently receive approximately 10 regular subscriptions, which is a lot less than I got even a year ago! I got most of these from people on Volition's Forums (which I previously used for mystery shopping, but there is a lot of other good info shared there...like free magazines...lol):

http://www.freebizmag.com/welcome.asp?FBMVisitId=3805627946 (I've received the bulk of my business mags from here. Only drawback is that you have to complete a lengthy questionnaire about your business, but you'll usually get 2 or 3 magazines out of the deal each time you visit. Hint: I keep a junk mail email address for sites like these. You may want to do the same.)

http://www.freetrademagazinesource.com/ (offers trade magazines)

https://www.anadynesystems3.com/servlets/frhclientformdisplay?xr4=&formts=2006-06-01%2006:41:55.109001 (I get Redbook magazine (free) and I think it may have come from this site)

http://www.worldpress.org/magazines.cfm

http://www.all-freemagazines.com/ (Right now, they're offering FHM, but the site changes often, so check back frequently)

http://mktg.roadrunner.com/mk/get/golf_july2006 (currently offering a free golf magazine)

There are lots more and new offers are listed regularly if you bookmark this thread on Volition (their whole forum is cool and there is a whole section just for freebies, so check it all out).

Hope this information helps someone!

Have a great one,

BabyBlogger

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

this is a great resource thanks!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There are lots more and new offers are listed regularly if you bookmark this thread on Volition (their whole forum is cool and there is a whole section just for freebies, so check it all out). "

That thread does not work

6:30 AM  
Blogger BabyBlogger said...

Thanks for letting me know!

I've re-done the link, so you should be able to access it now. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home