Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sidebars and Fillers

Another discovery!

Fillers are usually between 50 - 100 words and are what magazines used to use to fill empty spaces left over on pages. Thanks to technology, filling space is no longer the issue it used to be, but magazines still regularly use so-called fillers. Each magazine is different, but from what I hear it's not uncommon for a mag to pay $50 just for a short quip, quiz, poem, etc. Filler writers have reported that a query letter is most often not necessary when submitting and that most fillers are welcomed by email. From what I can gather, ditto for sidebars (which sound the same as fillers, to me). You can read more on this topic by logging into THIS THREAD on AbsoluteWrite.com. I swear, that site is one of the most educational sites on all the web for freelance writers. I don't think I've logged on there a day when I haven't learned something new.

And, speaking of sidebars, does anyone know how I can get mine from the bottom of this page back up to the top? I screwed something up when I inserted my ads a couple of weeks ago. I've read up on the topic, but my HTML skills seriously lack, so it's difficult for me to see what I need to fix and where. I'd really like to add some links to my sidebar too, so bonus love points to anyone who can advise.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

~BabyBlogger

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I'm no good at all this coding stuff, but I think I can help you add links. Go to your template and replace all the () with < >.

(h2 class="sidebar-title")Links(/h2)
(ul)
(li)(a href="http://INSERT WEBSITE//">INSERT WEBSITE NAME(/a)(/li)

(/ul)

Watch me be wrong and look like a total loser! ;)

8:03 PM  
Blogger BabyBlogger said...

Hi Jenny,

Though I haven't tried it yet (I'm swamped with writing right now), I will. I just wanted to acknowledge your attempt to help and to thank you. Hopefully, it will help!

12:52 PM  
Blogger BabyBlogger said...

Hi, again, Jenny!

I didn't have any of these () around my sidebar in my original coding. I only had the regular <> and they weren't directly around the sidebar, but were further up and below that section. I've since changed my template (several times) and now don't even have very many of these<>, but lots of {} instead. They aren't directly around the sidebar, but are a few lines up and below. What should I do?

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home